Propose and discuss evidenced-based nursing interventions to manage the three care priorities.
People aged 65 years and older constitute 50% of health service users. As people age, they experience changes to their physical and mental function, and can experience many social changes in terms of family and career. For those requiring health services, these changes are further complicated by illness (Moyle, Parker & Bramble, 2014).
The aim of this assignment is to apply the theoretical knowledge gained from modules 1 and 2 of this course to a case study that you have encountered in a Bachelor of Nursing clinical placement. Being able to discuss a case and design a care plan around that case are important skills for all registered nurses. Practising this process will help you to feel more confident to provide nursing care to an older person in the clinical setting.
prepare a 2000-word case study report. There are two parts to this report:
write a 500-word case study in which you discuss the care of an older person (over 65 years, or over 55 years if the person identifies as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander) who has at least TWO (2) co-morbidities that impact their functional status*.
For Part 2 you need to create a 1500-word comprehensive nursing care plan for that older person.
Part 1 – As this assignment is a Case Study Discussion, you need to:
● Introduce the purpose of the case study.
● Identify the person (the case) and take care to preserve the confidentiality of that person; you should use a pseudonym.
● Briefly discuss the two co-morbidities that impact their functional status.
● Briefly examine a specific, and recent environmental change impacting this older person.
● With reference to current, scholarly literature, discuss the extent to which specific stereotypes of older people are having a negative impact on the health of the person, their health care and their health outcomes.
Part 2 – In your comprehensive Care Plan you need to:
• Select and justify the top three care priorities (objectives) for nursing care (you can use dot points if you wish).
• Propose and discuss evidenced-based nursing interventions to manage the three care priorities.
● Describe a strategy that you might implement to evaluate whether the proposed interventions successfully manage the three care priorities (that is, how will you know the interventions have worked?).