Identify ways that the PMHNP can provide nonjudgmental care and compassion for individuals who suffer from an addiction.
Introduction and Alignment
Addiction is likely a multifactorial public health concern, with the interaction of multiple biological, developmental, and environmental factors. Incorporating other viewpoints including clients’ perspective regarding their personal struggles with addiction can facilitate sensitive and respectful communication and keep the focus on the client’s unique treatment needs.
Upon completion of this assignment, you should be able to:
- Discuss different theories of addiction.
- Identify ways that the PMHNP can provide nonjudgmental care and compassion for individuals who suffer from an addiction.
- Video: Everything you think you know about addiction is wrong Jahann Hari
- Video: Lets quit abusing drug users
- Video: Seeing drug and alcohol addiction in a new light. Ed Stevenson
- Watch the above videos.
- Navigate to the threaded discussion and respond to the following:
- Give an overview of the three videos.
- Discuss 2-3 specific ideas/new thoughts that you gleaned looking at how it may have changed your perspective on addiction.
- Your initial post is due by the end of the fourth day of the workshop.
- Read and respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings by the end of the workshop.
Question answered comprehensively
- Brief overview (10)
- Discusses specific thoughts gleaned from videos and perspective of addiction (30)
References and citations in correct APA format