Identify poor nursing practice,
SMENT 2: VIDEO STIMULUS
Watch this video
Intent: To enable students to identify poor nursing practice, specifically with regards to therapeutic communication and professional boundaries and to link this to patient safety.
Word count: 1000 words
Format: 4 short answers with reference list
Task: Students will watch a short video which shows an interaction between a student RN and patient and will:
- Identify FOUR (4) errors with regards to therapeutic communication and/or professional boundaries and discuss the significance of the error.
- For each error identify and discuss the correct actions the student RN should have taken.
- Not actively listening or asking the patient if they have any enquiries
- No respect for patient’s boundaries (sitting on bed, discussing personal life)
- Lack of empathy or showing any concern for the patient feeling sad
- Minimizing what the patient is experiencing by stating that all females go through this