Identify other mandates (e.g., quality, safety, requirement of reporting) and reflect on how they may affect issues you identified.
- Review the resources related to Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA) and meaningful use objectives.
- Review the Criteria for Attestation.
- Consider your current workplace or a former workplace and reflect on how EHR implementation slows your work, including staffing issues, medication barcoding, or any other issues that you might encounter.
- Identify policy mandates and requirements and reflect on how informatics and EHR implementation affect your ability to meet those policy mandates and requirements.
- Identify other mandates (e.g., quality, safety, requirement of reporting) and reflect on how they may affect issues you identified.
By Day 3 of Week 10
Post a response that analyzes how policy mandates and requirements you experience might affect the issues you encounter as a practicing nurse informaticist. Be specific and provide examples. Next, analyze how evolving policies that may be implemented might affect issues you encounter in nursing practice, and explain why.
McBride, S., & Tietze, M. (2019). Nursing informatics for the advanced practice nurse: Patient safety, quality, outcomes, and interprofessionalism (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing.
Chapter 1, “Introduction to Health Information Technology in a Policy and Regulatory Environment” (pp. 2–17)
Chapter 12, “National Standards for Health Information Technology” (pp. 272–295)
Lye, C. T., Forman, H. P., Daniel, J. G., & Krumholz, H. M. (2018). The 21st Century Cures Act and electronic health records one year later: Will patients see the benefits? Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 25(9), 1218–1220.
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. (2017, May 15). Standard nursing terminologies: A landscape analysis. Washington, DC: Author. Retrieved from https://www.healthit.gov/sites/default/files/snt_final_05302017.pdf
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. (2019, February 20). Meaningful use and MACRA. Retrieved from https://www.healthit.gov/topic/meaningful-use-and-macra/meaningful-use-and-macra
Federal Register: The Daily Journal of the United States Government. (2016, May 5). Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) programs; Medicaid managed care, CHIP delivered in managed care, and revisions related to third party liability. Retrieved from https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/05/06/2016-09581/medicaid-and-childrens-health-insurance-program-chip-programs-medicaid-managed-care-chip-delivered