Examine the role of the nurse in collaboration with other health care professionals,
TOPIC: Ethical Problems of Death and Dying
Professional ethics are at the foundation of nursing practice. Exploring ethical and legal issues that commonly arise in the practice of the health care professional provides student nurses with the knowledge they need to understand their role in providing ethical care to their patients. Ethical dilemmas in healthcare are not unique to nurses; however, the health care landscape is changing at an unprecedented rate creating the potential for new dilemmas in practice. By examining the role of the nurse in collaboration with other health care professionals, students learn the foundations for critically analyzing ethical dilemmas in nursing practice, clarifying values and promoting moral considerations regarding health care challenges.INSTRUCTIONS:
Each student will develop a scholarly paper and include the following:
1. Describe the ethical topic AND a potential ethical dilemma as it relates to the ethical topic/issue.
a. Identify the stakeholders who are impacted or who may potentially be impacted by this ethical topic/issue.
b. Identify the legal concerns associated with the topic/issue
2. Explore professional and personal values related to the ethical topic/issue
a. Describe and support a position (values, attitudes, beliefs) on the issue, provide examples supported by current literature
b. Provide an alternative position on the issue, provide examples describing the alternative viewpoint with examples supported by current literature
3. Identify and discuss any new knowledge gained related to the topic/issue.
4. The scholarly paper should be 4-5 pages excluding the title and reference page.
5. Include an introductory paragraph, purpose statement, and a conclusion.
6. Include level 1 and 2 headings to organize the paper.
7. Write the paper in third person, not first person (meaning do not use ‘we’ or ‘I’) and in a scholarly manner. To clarify I, we, you, me, our may not be used. In addition, describing yourself as the researcher or the author should not be used. The exception to this rule is if/when you do the reflective piece as it relates to your position (values) at the end.
8. Include a minimum of (4) professional peer-reviewed scholarly journal references to support the paper (review in Ulrich Periodical Directory) and be less than five (5) years old.
9. APA format is required (attention to spelling/grammar, a title page, a reference page, and in-text citations).