Evaluate the impact of the ethical issue(s) portrayed in the film on the nursing profession.
The practice of professional nursing challenges nurses to navigate ethical dilemmas in practice as they advocate for effective, ethical
health care. Ethical principles provide guidance for the nurse charged with making ethical decisions while caring for their patients. As
stewards of ethical practice, nurses are responsible to uphold the professional standards outlined in the
Code of Ethics for Nurses with
Interpretative Statements ‘The Code’
(American Nurses Association, 2015). The ability of the nurse to identify and analyze ethical
dilemmas is a critical professional competency. The opportunity to demonstrate an understanding of the four classic ethical principles:
autonomy, beneficence, non-maleficence, and justice assists the nurse to meet ethical obligations of care.
American Nurses Association (2015)
Code of ethics for nurses with interpretative statements
. Silver Spring, MD: Fowler.
After viewing the selected film from the list of films provided by the instructor, develop a scholarly paper that includes the following:
- Provide a brief introduction of the selected film that includes a title, year released, genre, and main theme.
- Provide a one paragraph summary of the selected film.
- Identify and discuss the ethical issue(s) identified in the film.
- Define each of the four ethical principles: autonomy, non-maleficence, beneficence, and justice
a. Provide examples from the film that relate to each relevant principle
b. Note: If the film does not address one of the principles acknowledge the omission in the paper
- Compare the film’s portrayal of the issue to current legal and ethical issues in the practice of professional nursing.
- Evaluate the impact of the ethical issue(s) portrayed in the film on the nursing profession.