Discuss the global capstone topic in terms of a pathophysiologic condition or health state/event that arises as a result.
– Discuss the global capstone topic in terms of a pathophysiologic condition or health state/event that arises as a result.
– Examine the condition utilizing the concepts of the natural history of disease.
– Compare and contrast principles of epidemiology for the condition in the United States versus globally.
– Each student will use the topic initiated in the Fall 2019 semester in the Foundations of Nursing course.
– From that topic, students will identify a pathophysiologic condition or health state/event that is a direct outcome of the topic.
– Students will write a research-based paper on: 1) how this condition connects to the global topic, 2) the history of the condition and 3) epidemiological characteristics of distribution, determinants and specific populations.
– This paper requires the utilization of at least 4 quality research articles from reliable sources. APA formatting is critical in terms of proper in-text citation and a reference page. Paper should be between 5 and 7 pages (not counting reference page).
– This project will continue next year to a community perspective in NURS 425 with an experiential component and from a global perspective in NURS 445.
Section 1: Introduction to the Health State/Event (20%)
– Introduce the disease/health state/event in terms of the global topic selected in semester one.
– Clearly state the selected disease and where it is found globally: Explain why this was chosen, How does it connect to the global issue
– Use scholarly articles to support your ideas
Section 2: Natural History of Disease (30%)
– Discuss the course of disease from susceptibility to recovery/disability/death
– Susceptibility: who is at risk, precipitating events
Subclinical stage: what is happening at the cellular level, pathogenicity
– Clinical stage: manifestations of disease, sequela
– Recovery, disability or death: discuss prognosis and the most common end point
– use the CDC guidelines for this
Section 3: Epidemiological Characteristics (40%)
– Discuss the epidemiologic data about the disease/health state/event. Present findings on distribution, determinants and specialized populations.
– Compare and contrast the U.S. data to that of either another country or worldwide. Include the following:
– Distribution: include incidence, prevalence, morbidity and mortality rates. What is the level of disease (endemic, epidemic, pandemic, sporadic)
– Determinants: discuss etiological sources
– Specialized populations: who are the people reflected in the data? Be as specific as possible.
– Remember to compare and contrast to another area of the world
– Use scholarly, reputable resources to support your work- either CDC or WHO
Section 4: APA Usage and grammar and selected articles (10%)
– Use APA (6th ed.) formatting throughout this paper,
– At least 4 scholarly articles will be used
– APA Checklist- make sure to include the following, which will affect your grade (see APA book):
– Title page with running head
– Appropriate pagination
– Paraphrasing with in-text citation (you are limited to 2 direct quotes in the entire paper with appropriate citation)
– Properly formatted reference (works cited) page