- Discuss the importance of teaching the surgical client and the family.
Chapter 77: Musculoskeletal disorders
- You work in an orthopedic unit of a large hospital. An 80-year-old man has a closed leg fracture. Formulate a teaching plan for him. How would your teaching differ if the affected individual is an 8-year-old boy with the same type of fracture?
- You work in an elementary school. A first-grade girl with an arm cast comes to see you. Her cast is wet and dented. She complains of increased pain; her fingers are cool and white. Discuss possible causes of these findings and how you would intervene.
Chapter 78: Nervous System Disorders
- Discuss how your nursing care would differ for a client paralyzed from the waist down and a client paralyzed from the neck down. Give explanations for your answers.
- You are working with a 70-year-old man who has Parkinson disease and his family. The client’s condition has made it impossible for him to continue to live on his own, and he is planning to move in with his son and daughter-in-law. What types of home care adaptations can be made for the client? What suggestions would you make for the family to adapt to this situation successfully?
Discuss how your nursing care would differ for a client paralyzed from the waist down