Describe areas that would affect nursing care for a person of the culture of the person you interviewed.
Using the information learned from your assessments describe five points or areas that would affect
nursing care for a person of the culture of the person you interviewed.
Include the areas and evaluate the type of accommodation or change in nursing care needed to give
culturally competent care.
Retake the cultural competency quiz and summarize if and how your cultural competency has changed.
Evaluate how your learning can positively affect the nursing care of individuals from diverse
Interview topics from last paper requested
Select a person from a cultural group different from your own (specify their culture)
perform a cultural assessment by interviewing that person. complete the cultural assessment using
1. Where do you currently live?
2. What is your ancestry?
3. Where were you born?
4. How many years have you lived in the United States (or other country, as appropriate)?
5. Were your parents born in the United States (or other country, as appropriate)?
6. What brought you (your parents/ancestors) to the United States (or other country, as
7. Describe the land or countryside where you live. Is it mountainous, swampy, etc.?
8. Have you lived other places in the United States/world?
9. What was the land or countryside like when you lived there?
10. What is your income level?
11. Does your income allow you to afford the essentials of life?
12. Do you have health insurance?
This assessment is based on Purnell’s twelve domains of culture. the assessment should cover all
twelve for the assignment to be complete.
1. Overview, Inhabited Localities, and Topography
3. Family Roles and Organization
4. Workforce Issues
5. Biocultural Ecology
6. High Risk Health Behaviors
8, Pregnancy and Childbearing Practices
9. Death Rituals
11. Healthcare Practices
12. Healthcare Practioners
Cultural Competence Checklist: Personal Reflection
This tool was developed to heighten your awareness of how you view clients/patients from culturally
and linguistically diverse (CLD) populations.
*There is no answer key; however, you should review responses that you rated 5, 4, and even 3.
1 Strongly Agree
5 Strongly Disagree
___ I treat all of my clients with respect for their culture.
___I do not impose my beliefs and value systems on my clients, their family members, or their
• ___ I believe that it is acceptable to use a language other than English in the U.S.
• ___ I accept my clients’ decisions as to the degree to which they choose to acculturate
into the dominant culture.
• ___ I provide services to clients who are GLBTQ (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, or
• ___ I am driven to respond to others’ insensitive comments or behaviors.
• ___ I do not participate in insensitive comments or behaviors.
• ___ I am aware that the roles of family members may differ within or across culture or
• ___ I recognize family members and other designees as decision makers for services and
• ___ I respect non-traditional family structures (e.g., divorced parents, same gender
parents, grandparents as caretakers).
• ___ I understand the difference between a communication disability and a communication
• ___ I understand that views of the aging process may influence the clients’/families’
decision to seek intervention.
• ___ I understand that there are several American English dialects. I recognize that all
English speakers use a dialect of English.
I understand that the use of a foreign accent or limited English skill is not a reflection of:
___ Reduced intellectual capacity
___ The ability to communicate clearly and effectively in a native language
I understand how culture can affect child-rearing practices such as:
___ Self-help skills
___ Expectations for the future ___ Communication
I understand the impact of culture on life activities, such as:
___ Family roles
___ Religion/faith-based practices
___ Gender roles
___ Alternative medicine
___ Customs or superstitions
___ Perception of time
___ Views of wellness
___ Views of disabilities
___ The value of Western medical treatment
I understand my clients’ cultural norms may influence communication in many ways, including:
___ Eye contact
___ Interpersonal space
___ Use of gestures
___ Comfort with silence
___ Topics of conversation
___ Asking and responding to questions ___ Greetings
___ Use of humor
___ Decision-making roles