Define and discuss the ethical principles underlying professional nursing practice
Ethical case study paper
The purpose of this assignment is to perform an analysis of an ethical dilemma in nursing practice
by applying selected ethical principles and recommending actions to resolve the dilemma. Recently
there has been a case widely publicized in the news regarding a 13-year-old girl, Jahi McMath,
declared brain dead and on life support following a tonsillectomy. This assignment will require you
to research this case, analyze the dilemma and write a paper addressing the key elements listed
Key elements of the paper:
1) Summarize the situation and events described in the case of Jahi McMath. Discuss the ethical
dilemma(s) that are present in the situation, addressing a minimum of two different perspectives.
One perspective must be the nurse’s perspective. You may choose the second perspective from the
following parties involved: physician, family, healthcare organization or a societal perspective.
2) Define and discuss the ethical principles underlying professional nursing practice (autonomy,
beneficence, non-maleficence, veracity, justice, paternalism, fidelity, & respect for others) that
apply to the situation and are also pertinent to you in deciding what actions to take.
3) Using the Provisions in the ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses as a guiding framework, discuss at
least two options for action that you think exist that might be used to address the dilemma(s) in
this case. Choose the one option that you feel most strongly about and would pursue to facilitate
resolution. Clearly state ethic why you chose that option over the others and support your
selection with provisions from the Nursing Code of Ethics.
1) The paper must be typed in Word format double-spaced on 8.5” X 11” paper with 1” margins on all
sides using a 12 point Times New Roman font, including a cover page, page numbers on the upper
right-hand corner of each page and running heads
2) A minimum of 2 reference sources must be used to support your discussion of ethical principles
and two options for action, including the course textbook and at least one additional relevant
resource on ethical practice.
3) Use the APA Manual (6th ed.) to format your paper, including the citations and reference list.