Create a 6–8-slide PowerPoint presentation for a group of school nurses
Create a 6–8-slide PowerPoint presentation for a group of school nurses, which addresses the role of the school nurse in managing the unique health concerns of teenagers while adhering to privacy laws.
You are the parent of two teenagers and an active PTA member at their school. The principal approached you about an upcoming professional gathering for middle- and high-school nurses in your district. She asked you to make a short presentation on school health privacy and how it can affect nurse-student care within the teen population, where personal health issues and privacy concerns often collide.
Research and gather information about the issues facing school nurses in your state of licensure, as well as state and federal privacy laws that govern your school health privacy information. You will also need to learn about the legal limitations and responsibilities of the school nurse.
Create a 6–8-slide PowerPoint presentation that examines the privacy issues unique to nurses serving the high-school age population. Address the following:
• Describe the types of health and wellness issues that can affect adolescents in their high-school years. Be sure you think beyond the usual things and really research the types of issues that are affecting young people today.
• Explain how privacy laws can impact the school nurse in regard to patient safety and health outcomes for adolescents.
• Explain how privacy laws benefit the student, the school, and the school nurse.
• Recommend two specific evidence-based ethical strategies regarding health and wellness privacy communications in a school environment.
• Describes health and wellness issues specific to the adolescent population, including issues related to sexual activity and mental health.
• Explains the laws that relate to adolescent safety and health privacy in a school setting and provides historical background of the laws.
• Explains how privacy laws affect the school, student, and school nurse, and provides a rationale of the benefits of the law.
• Recommends evidence-based ethical strategies relating to health and wellness privacy communication by the school nurse, and examines the consequences of failing to use the strategies.
• Writes clearly and logically, with correct use of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and mechanics, and uses relevant evidence to support a central idea.