Analyze U.S. healthcare policy structures
Analyze U.S. healthcare policy structures and the role of the nursing leader as a change agent at the public policy table.
You will decide on a policy issue that needs to be addressed. You may choose a policy issue that interests you. Below are suggested topics for proposed policy change, however if you wish to address another topic please contact your instructor for approval:
- Treatment of veterans after deployment and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Cost of end of life care.
- Costs of drugs in the United States as compared to other countries.
- Quarantine of health care workers that have been exposed to communicable diseases.
- Medical care for illegal immigrants.
- Right to die with euthanasia methods.
- Disclosure of medical records of pilots and other safety sensitive professionals and HIPAA violations.
- Restrictions of roles of nurse practitioners and advanced practice nurses in certain states.
- Health care reform.
- Requirements of meaningful use to meet core measures.
- ICD-10 issues.
- Entry into practice issues.
- Mandatory vaccination of children.
- Allowing nurses educated in other countries to practice in the United States.
- Faculty shortages in U.S. nursing education programs.
You will write a letter using professional business format to one of your Federal legislators outlining what the issue is and why it is important. The letter will address:
- The current policy structure.
- The need for the change.
- The suggested change.
- Cost implications if the change is implemented.